Thursday, September 3, 2009

Best and Worst Concept Albums

http://paralleluniverse.msn.com/photos/music/rock-concept-albums/

Here is a link to what MSN calls "Rock Concept Albums: Triumphs and Travesties." I am a big fan of concept albums, so when I see a list like this I am always interested. However, I would say that for the most part this list is shit. I mean Green Day's American Idiot....one of the best concept albums...in the same league as Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon or the Who's Tommy? That is just asinine. Furthermore, labelling anything produced by Genesis (even We Can't Dance) as a travesty is mind-boggling. Maybe the story in the Lamb Lies Down On Broadway is a bit silly, but what concept album doesn't have a silly story. Have you seen the Tommy movie? Its fairly ridiculous, but incredibly awesome. I would also have to say that calling Rush's 2112 and Floyd's The Wall travesties is also blasphemy. Here is a list (in no particular order) of some concept albums that I enjoy, that are not included on the list.

  • Kezia by Protest the Hero
  • What to Do When You are Dead by Armor for Sleep
  • Leviathan, Blood Mountain, and Leviathan by Mastodon
  • Every Album by Coheed and Cambria (Surprising MSN missed this one considering that they have an interview with the band's frontman on the homepage)
  • Every Album by The Dear Hunter
  • Catch Without Arms by Dredg
  • The Alchemy Index Vols. I-IV by Thrice
  • Trainwreck by Boys Night Out
  • De-loused in the Comatorium and Frances the Mute by The Mars Volta
This is only a sample. I'm sure there is many more that I have forgotten. Let me know what you think about MSN's list and speak your mind about your favorite concept albums. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment